1 oz 2018 WEDGE TAILED EAGLE .9999 SILVER COIN BU
In 2014, John Mercanti and the Perth Mint made numismatic history with the introduction of the Wedge-tailed Eagle Series. That was the first time that a former Chief Engraver of the United States Mint partnered with a foreign mint on a coin. That partnership produced what immediately became a favorite issue among collectors. Since then, Mercanti’s initial design was repeated on the second issue and a second design appeared on the third and fourth issues. This one ounce Silver 2018 Australia Wedge-tailed Eagle will be a prized piece for collectors not only because of the beauty of the design but also because this is the first issue in the series to have a one year only design.
The bald eagle has long appeared on American coins, so John Mercanti, who created the eagle design that has appeared on the Silver Eagle since the coin’s debut in 1986, was a natural fit to design a coin celebrating Australia’s largest bird of prey, the wedge-tailed eagle. Mercanti’s skill in design and engraving and the Perth Mint’s exceptional production quality combined to bring about this beloved series. This one year only family of eagles design is sure to have particular appeal to collectors. With a mintage of only 50,000 pieces, your chance to own this 2018 one ounce Silver Wedge-tailed Eagle will not be around for long.
- FIFTH ISSUE IN THE WEDGE-TAILED EAGLE SERIES – This 2018 is the fifth issue in this extraordinarily popular series.
- FOUR NINE FINE — Each 2018 Wedge-tailed Eagle coin was struck from one ounce of 99.99% fine silver at the Perth Mint, which is represented by a “P” mint mark on the right side of the reverse. The Perth Mint is revered by collectors throughout the world for the consistent, outstanding quality of its coins.
- ONE YEAR ONLY DESIGN — Unlike the two previous designs in the Wedge-Tailed Eagle Series, which were used for two years, the 2018 edition’s reverse image will only be used once.
- EXQUISITE EAGLE FAMILY DESIGN — For the first time in the series, John Mercanti depicts a family of eagles rather than a solitary one. A mother bends over toward her nestling in the foreground while the father returns above.
- AUSTRALIA LEGAL TENDER – Each 2018 Silver Wedge-Tailed Eagle is one dollar legal tender in Australia, as noted on the obverse below Ian Rank-Broadley’s portrait of Queen Elizabeth II.
- A LIMITED MINTAGE — Although this series quickly became a favorite among collectors, this mintage will consist of just 50,000 pieces.